DIY Dropcloth Shower Curtain


I made a simple little shower curtain last week using a canvas dropcloth and some very basic sewing skills.

I had been wanting to make a shower curtain in white or off white for our bathroom (we have a green tub, so we try to keep everything else fairly neutral in there). I’d noticed tutorials for making curtains out of drop cloths so I decided to try using one to make a shower curtain. I like the look of the unbleached, neutral toned fabric. Most shower curtains you can buy are are 72″ wide by 72″ long, which makes finding fabric wide enough difficult. I chose a 6 x 9 foot canvas dropcloth to work with since it was already wide enough, and already hemmed on three sides.

Here’s what I used/did:


1.) A 6 x 9 foot canvas dropcloth, prewashed. I’ll admit, the prewash did shrink it slightly, and it wasn’t quite 72″ wide anymore, but better to do this before sewing than after. It was still wide enough.

2.) I cut several inches off of the long end of the cloth, and made it so it would hang a little longer than my current curtain. With three sides already hemmed, I simply turned down the top about 1/2″…

3.) And turned that down again about 2″, and ironed it all flat.


4.) I pinned my top down…

5.) Sewed a straight line across (two, actually, for strength) — even I can do that.

6.) And, because I didn’t have enough grommets in my grommet kit, I decided to dive into buttonholes instead, which I had never done before. They worked great.

Note on the button holes: If you’re new to doing this, there are great tutorials online by much more experienced sewers than me, so I’m not going to attempt to explain how to do it. But here are a few recommendations: 1.) Consult the directions for YOUR sewing machine. 2.) Practice on another piece of fabric first. Imperative! 3.) Measure and mark your button holes for a shower curtain based on the liner you are using. You’ll want your holes to line up! 4.) Try dabbing Fray-Check or some other seam sealant on your buttonhole to help keep it from fraying.


I like the results, but, then I like any results that I sew that aren’t a total disaster.


The cost for this was about $10 for the dropcloth.

If you enjoyed this post, please share it with others!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.