Here’s a very simple project I made over the weekend. I tried making a basket liner, out of necessity.
Here’s the big plastic tub I was using to store my yarn. My yarn seems to have a way of multiplying itself, and it’s bulky to begin with, so I now need a large container. But it always seemed to be in the way. I wanted to be able to put it up on my dresser when not in use.
However, I thought this plastic container was looking dumpy up there.
I have tried keeping all the yarn in this huge basket. The problem?
Well, scratchy old baskets and yarn don’t seem to like each other too much and I kept getting snagged yarns and poked fingers — thus the plastic container. I tried lining the basket with a folded sheet, but that seemed dumpy too. Nothing was really working.
Instead of buying another basket, I decided to try making a liner for the woven basket out of a clean drop cloth I already had lying around. (I had never used this drop cloth for painting, but in its past life, it had served a purpose covering furniture and as a beach blanket.) The neutral fabric (and the size) was just right to line the basket, and I would have some left over to use for something else.
Time to cut it up.
I basically measured the inside of the basket on the top inner edge, the bottom diameter inside and the height. I cut a rectangle of fabric that I would sew together into a long tube to fit down inside the basket, and a large circle for the bottom.
As with many projects, I spent more time preparing than actually sewing.
To cut a 15.5″ circle for the bottom of the basket, I found a lampshade that matched the diameter and carefully traced around it onto my fabric.
I won’t go into a detailed tutorial of how I sewed the long rectangle of fabric to the circle. Actually, before embarking on this project, I didn’t really consider that I had never sewed anything to a circle before, and didn’t know what I was doing. But basically, I sloowwwly sewed the raw short edge of the tube piece to the edges of the circle, then closed the tube to make a big sack with a flat bottom. In this case, no need to conceal any raw edges because they are hidden in the basket. I left enough edge to pull down a few inches over the basket (that part was already hemmed.)
I am sure I made many mistakes, and it may not be the neatest of work, but I did accomplish making the two pieces adhere to one another, although the last stitch up the side (to form the tube) was too tight and I had to rip it out and re-do it.
The results… well, it fits (with a little tugging). But I am pleased. No more scratches when reaching into this basket, and it looks neater to me, and nicer than my plastic tub.
Project Cost: $0.
Now I need to practice sewing those circles.